As millennials: We think we’re special. Ahem, we know we’re special. We actually do enjoy being social, not just with a screen. We prefer spending our money on experiences over objects. We know what marketing is, and we know what you’re trying to do.
Marketers know that millennials are more than just a vital audience to target; we also won’t take what has been working for previous generations.
So what does work? From a millennial, here are six tips.
1. Good connections start with good content. We don’t need your fluff; our attention spans are short enough without it. If you’re putting out good information, we’ll find it. But, if you’re saying the same thing we’ve heard a million times over, we won’t.
2. The time has come for transparency. After all, with all the information we need located in our back pocket (literally), we can figure out the truth pretty quickly. Be upfront about who you are and what you’re doing, and we’ll think more highly of your brand for it.
3. Shockingly, we don’t like being told we’re antisocial. Yes, we spend more time with our eyes on a screen than some might be able to fathom. However, we also value experiences and adventures more than you might expect. Stop selling us status. Start selling us social. I’m more likely to invest my time and money if you can give me a good experience, not just a good product.
4. We like being in the know. And talking about it. Call it “hipster” or “informed,” but we want to be able to talk about what’s going on. We want to be able to say, “Yeah, I definitely saw that video of that guy doing that thing, it was hilarious and totally made me think about that other thing.” Not just, “Yeah I saw that thing that went viral.”
5. Get us involved. We’re a proud group of people, and we like being a part of something. Get on social media. Talk to us. Get our creative juices flowing (creativity is important to us). Give us a good time, and you’ll get a good response.
6. We’re on the go. You should be too. If your site or emails are not compatible to our smartphones, they aren’t going to get very far with us. Studies are showing that the connection between mobile use and brand engagement is only getting stronger, and will continue to well into the foreseeable future.
Ultimately, be smart. Be fun and creative. Keep up. We’re not slowing down, and marketers – neither should you.